Saturday, February 03, 2018

The Man of a Thousand Faces

This last December I took part in my first pantomime for about 40 years. And for the first time ever I got to be the baddie! And yes, it was in France but luckily we were performing it in English. I couldn't have coped with shouts of "Oh non ce n'est pas" or "derriere toi!". Anyway, it was Treasure Island and I got to play Long John Silver.
















Of course, as you can see, my appearance was totally based on Johhny Depps character, Captain Jack Sparrow. It is now law that all pirates have to look like him. You will no doubt see the similarity.




















No, it's not quite there is it. I did however remind myself of somebody. And it took few days to work it out. It was of course, jazz player and food critic, Jay Rayner, son of Claire Rayner, for those old enough to remember TVs most prominent agony aunt of the 80s (?).

















Others suggested that it might in fact be rock god Frank Zappa.




















Other suggestions welcome!

4 comments:

Brennig said...

The resemblance between your pirate character and Jack Sparrow is quite uncanny. I trust you had a much better stab at the accent

Masher said...

Capt Jack Sparrow and Capt Dave... er, Chaffinch!
Like two peas in a pod.
Apart from the eye patch, of course.

kennamatic said...

Brennig - I certainly packed the speech with as many aaarghs as I could.

Masher - Yes, I think I quite like The idea of Captain Chaffinch. It was of course, the lack of an eye-patch that meant Depp was never a real pirate.

Anonymous said...

Erm...