Monday, October 23, 2017

WebOct 23

Well, at least one of you will have thought this site would be coming up.

Geocaching. The problem is you might not be able t get very far with it, bar the same one person, as access requires sign up.

Anyway, if you haven't heard of Geocaching it is, or was, the finding of various hidden items by use of GPS, usually of a decent size in a nice location. That is how it was, now it is finding some mall film canister or smaller hidden somewhere not very interesting. However, don't get me started on that or there will be problems!

As well as finding them you get to hide tham too, and I used to have three physical caches but they have now been retired because they got "lost". There used to be something called a virtual cache which, instead of a physical cache, required you to find some information to claim the find. I still have one of those going. MMMonument. It has now been visited by over 5000 people who have visited London.

As for taking part, it is not something I do much now but as I have decided I need to do more walking this winter I might have to dust off my old hand held GPS.




.

2 comments:

Masher said...

I'm guessing I must be the one!

Yes, your caching activities are sadly lacking - I've found a lot more in France than you have. I think we did half a dozen this year. However, you've still found more than I have, overall.

MMMonument is doing well, with 324 faves. I did that a few years back when I was working down that London.

kennamatic said...

Masher - It also features in the top 100 London cache lists. Which I must admit gives me a surge of egotistical pleasure. Yes, I've found 1 in 3 years here. Somewhat like my school reports - must try harder!