Sunday, February 26, 2017

Janet & John

We went to Waterstones in Kingston yesterday, where I worked for a month one December, and had a nice surprise in as much as they were selling some older books off for a quid. Some had slightly torn dust covers, others were just remainders. We bought four books;
The full scripts of Downton Abbey series 2 for someone as a present.
A thriller by someone neither of us knows but are willing to waste a pound at worst on.
A coffee table book of eclectic recipes which would have cost £35 new, which I wouldn't have paid.
And finally, the scripts from the Janet and John stories off of Terry Wogan's morning show.

I already own two of the cd collections of the stories. If you don't know them they are a wmix of the style of writing of the Janet & John books some of us grew up at school with and good old fashioned British double entendre. Terry read them and often corpsed with tales where various mishaps befell poor old John who would innocently tll his wife Janet how he'd helped the bakers wife to knead her baps and had a quick taste of her muffin. Not quite what you'd expect from Radio 2 but very, very funny. In a schoolboy sort of a way. Which is why I liked it. Even though I no longer am. A schoolboy that is.

4 comments:

Masher said...

They weren't written by Humphrey Littleton, were they?

Brennig said...

A book of electric recipes? Sounds delightful

Anonymous said...

How I miss Terry Wogan on Radio 2!

kennamatic said...

Afraid not young Masher.

Brennig, that would be shocking and I certainly wouldn't plug it. There, that's flexed my punny bone.

Toffeeapple - So do I. Particularly when I had to listen to bloody Chris Evans this morning!