Monday, February 06, 2017

Destroy It Yourself

Yes, that old joke but in my case pretty true. Or at least as far as home is concerned.

Since we have arrived in France I have been registered as a "Homme Touts Mains" - a handyman. Although my main job is looking after pools I do have to do a reasonable amount of simple repair stuff. And in general I have surprised myself by how much I have been able to do. Changing a pump for a pool, building from scratch some shutters that were the size of doors, building a fence. Not by any stretch of the imagination the most complicated of jobs, but for someone with the dexterity of a retarded wombat, a definite improvement over what had gone before.

But even after all this, when it comes to doing something in the house I cannot get it right. As well as buying the main storage the other day we bought 3 cd towers. They were pretty easy to put together but it didn't stop me getting one of the shelves put in upside down. I'm also doing some pretty simple tiling with stick on tiles and even with those I've managed with one pair to not get the edges straight together.

I wonder if anyone here knows a good handyman?

3 comments:

Masher said...

Yeah: my dad.
He's one of those annoying blokes who can turn his hand to most anything when it comes to DIY.
It's certainly not a trait that has been passed down to me.

Brennig said...

I'll do it. And I'll do a bloody good job of it. But I will only do it when I'm pushed to do it under pressure. I hate DIYing. I would much rather GALMI.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Brennig.