Friday, February 10, 2017

Chinatown.

A little bit of China is coming to Loupia tonight as our neighbours pop round and we play Mahjong. I haven't played since I was probably 9 or 10 and I can hardly remember the basic rules let alone memorising the special hands! I used to play onine against a computer but that is much easier. And I can't practice online because now I can't find a proper game because of the proliferation of Mahjong Tile sites playing a form of solitaire.

I'm hoping we have a slight advantage in as much as The Magnificent M's mother was actually born in Shanghai. M's Grandmother, having been born in the Scottish Highlands travelled on her own at the age of 16 to Shanghai to catch up with her boyfriend who had joined the Shanghai police service. That must have been an adventure for a young girl just after the 1st World War.

I suspect by the time a few beers and glasses of wine have been consumed it might be more a fun night than a serious games night but I'm too competitive to ever really let go.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just relax and enjoy yourselves. Have a little drinkie for me?

Masher said...

Yeah, but stay off the rice wine!

Brennig said...

I like Shanghai, was there last year. And yet I've never been to Scotland.

kennamatic said...

Toffeeapple - I did on both accounts.

Masher - I did for your sake! (See what I did there?).

Brennig - We would like to go to both one day, just so M can check out her Scottish ancestral area and a very different Shanghai to what her Grandmother knew.