Thursday, February 04, 2016

Blogathon Day 4 - Friends across the Ether


Good lord, it's 15 years since I started blogging. Not 15 years today but in a few months time. I won't remember when it comes to the exact date so I'll mention it now. There are any number of meets for Bloggers in and around the Capital, back home in dear Old Blighty but i managed to miss all those so, after some 5000+ days, I have only met one other blogger, Graham from Grayblog and spoken to a second on the phone. Alistair of ScaryDuck, Oh, and I've just remembered I'm a friend on Facebook with a third, Lynn, from the now defunct Bacon Cheese and Oatcakes.

In some ways it's one of the most sociable ways of meeting people. You are often in contact every day even if it is only a one way conversation. You know quite a few things about them even if it is only the face they want to show although I think Bloggers often post more on their site than they would tell their real life friends. Now I am in France, the bloggers I read and converse with are the friends I am most in contact with, even compared to Facebook as although I read I rarely comment and very rarely post anything, although I'm not exactly bombarding anyone with my blog posts either.

It can be a therapeutic relationship. And particlarly for men. We don't have the same sort of friend relationships as women. Someone who visited us earlier this month was amazed to find out that when I am with mates and her other half is with us we don't all sit around discussing the negatives of their relationship. sometimes being able to say things on blogs are the only outlet you have. Not that there is anything I need to say at the moment just in case you thought it was heading that way.

I've never been able to keep a diary, I go on for a few days and then it all goes to hell in a handcart as it does for many who decide to chronicle their lives that way, along with the other New Year resolutions people make. But, sporadic as it might be, the blogging does make interesting reading for me looking back at things I'd forgotten or realising things I thought were important or not were in fact the other way round.

A bit of an introspective post, as I've felt for much of the day. Maybe tomorrow will be lighter.



2 comments:

Masher said...

I find that blogging acts as a sort of diary, as I'll usually chronicle any major happenings there.
There has been many a time when I've wondered to myself "Now, when was it that I...", and a quick keyword search on my blog will bring it up.
And then I'll find myself sitting there for half an hour reading old posts.

I've made a few (virtual) friends through blogging, but I've only actually met one.

Brennig said...

For me too it is, as Young Masher says, a sort of diary. I have to self-censor a bit, else I find I accidentally get really ranty about specific people. Colleagues. Yep, that's not good.