Sunday, February 21, 2016

Blogathon Day 21 - Sunday's Subject : Mountains


Since I first visited Switzerland in the mid-70s I aways wanted to live with mountains. Preferably in them. Then when I visited Austria in the mid 1980s I reckoned that, if it was ever to happen, then Zell am See in Austria would be my ideal place. A mixture of mountains and lakes.

But now I find myself living about 45 minutes from the Pyrenees but not actually in them. And I'm satisfied. I have the benefit of seeing them virtually every day and being able to drive into them in about 45 minutes. Just over an hour and a half away we could be in Andorra. But I don't need to live in the mountains to be happy with them.

This is one of the things about The Aude that makes it special. We can be in the mountains in 45 minutes and at the coast in about an hour. We have a great deal of history within an hours drive and massive underground grottoes about an hour way. It could be said to be the "Jack of all Trades" of an area rather than the master of any but I think it gives you all you can want in relative close proximity.

2 comments:

Masher said...

Funnily enough, I was watching something on telly the other day. It was a news item, I think, in Japan and they were filming some people out in the streets and the backdrop was the fantastic sight of Mount Fuji. And I remember thinking to myself how wonderful it must be to live there and see that sight every day. But then I wondered if seeing it every day would actually detract from its magnificence.

And... living in the mountains? Who do you think you are, Grizzly Adams? :)
I'm sure it would be wonderful. For a bit.
But the broadband would probably be rubbish.

kennamatic said...

Yeah, not exactly living in a hut in the mountains, but I might have managed somewhere like Interlaken. And certainly after 8 months I still think the mountains are great. Other bits have blended into the background but not the mountains.