Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Blogathon Day 17 - Five Fine Foods

I certainly enjoy the food down in the South of France but there are some things you just can't get that neccesitate a visit when I am in the UK.

1) Fish and Chips - There is a fish and chip van comes to Limoux in the summer and we got quite excited, We aren't any more. They were crap. And French restaurants, even when they do F&C, don't have the concept nywhere near right. The big Fish and Chip visit will be in March when I am back again and can go to Nash's. I probably blogged about them 2 years ago when I was last there.

2) Pie and Chips - Pukka Pies. You can't beat them. Preferably Steak and Kidney. The french don't do pies or at least not as we know them. They do a frozen oone in our supermarket but we haven't plucked up the courge to try it yet,

3) Chinese - They do Asian which covers Chinese, Japanese, Thai and Vietnamese with the emphasis being Viet. You can't get a proper sweet and sour for love nor money.

4) Indian - 8 months and we haven't found one yet. I'm not a big curry fan but I like a Korma. Not because I don't like heat but because I adore coconut.

5) Pizza - OK, they do pizza and some of it actually looks like a pizza as we know it. The problem is, because of my allergy to cheese, the only one I can eat is from Pizza Hut. Lord knows why but there you go. I have no idea where the nearest Pizza Hut to us is except I know of one in Paris about a kilometer from Gare du Nord which makes it approximately 600 km from us.

Until recently I might have put Sausage Rolls on the list but a couple of weeks back I found some which I think are pretty damn close to ones here except they have a slightly higher meat content. (i.e. there is actually some meat in it).

On this visit I have sampled numbers 2 and 3 so far. I can last till March for Number 1, just depends if I can do 4 or 5 this time, March or suffer until November when I am back after the season.

Today's handy "Oh my God I am surprised any of us are still alive" slot from the course. You know when you sometimes think you are going down with flu but it never really materialises? And sometimes it's a few days after coming back home from a fortnights holiday? It wasn't flu at all. It was a slight bout of Legionnaires Disease. And you almost definitely got it from your house!

3 comments:

Masher said...

Just a slight bout, eh? I'll bear that in mind.

And.

No pies! How can they have no pies? What sort of godforsaken, third world place have you moved to?

And the French are supposedly renowned for their gastronomy.

Pah!

Brennig said...

The head office of Pukka Pies is just around the corner from where I work, in Syston, Leicestershire. On some evenings, when I leave the office late, and when the wind is in the right direction, I can smell the baking. Freshly ovened Chicken & Mushroom pies smell the best.

Masher said...

Ha ha, Bren: the veggie in you is long gone by the sound of it!