Thursday, February 11, 2016

Blogathon Day 11 - Le Croix de Cathare


The Cathar Cross is everywhere down here. We are in the middle of Cathar Country. For history buffs of the crusade period there is more history than you can shake a trebuchet at. But there is one croix de Cathare that beats all the rest. And that's available at one of our local boulangeries.

Shaped like a thick lumpy version it is made of a scone like pastry incorporating caraway seeds and glazed with sugar syrup and sugar crystals. MMMMmmmm! The caraway seed gives it a slightly aniseedy flavour and would be more savoury than sweet if it wasn't for the sugar topping. They don't make them all the time and normally it is a sunday afternoon treat but I had to pick up some bread for tea and they had some. Unfortunately I had eaten half of it before I remembered I should have taken a photo of it first. I'd hate you to miss out on that, so I might have to go buy another one tomorrow!

1 comment:

Masher said...

Prepared to purchase and eat delicious pastries for our benefit?
You're a bloody saint, you are, Dave.

They do sound rather yummy, though.