Monday, February 02, 2015

The Great Adventure

So, three posts back, or four months ago if you'd rather, I teased you with "some potentially exciting news". Since then it has seemed likely on some days and unlikely on others. Indeed, if I had posted this yesterday I would have said it was unlikely yet today it has suddenly moved forward.

So here we go.

There is a possibility that we are going to up sticks and move to the South of France within the next few weeks or months. About 10 minutes outside Limoux,some 20 minutes from Carcassonne. The story of how this came about will be for another day but maybe I'll finish my working life there instead of overcrowded London.


So instead of spending my evenings in front of the tele I might spend it in the pool.




Or if I can't walk as far as that, maybe a glass of wine on the terrace under the vines.



So, for the sum of £195,000.00, we will take over a property management company and purchase the owners house.




That's the 6 bedroom house where the shutters are, plus the wide building to the left which will convert into another 6 bed house, or separate appartments.

And all funded by a 2 bedroom flat in Isleworth leaving a £100k spending money.That's how ridiculous London prices are, or maybe French prices.

So the flat is on the market and if we can sell it in the next few weeks we go, if not, we probably won't. It's in the lap of the Gods. And our estate agent.



5 comments:

Brennig said...

Good luck with it. As someone who tried the living abroad thing (albeit in Granada because I can speak Spanish), I found it not as simple as I would have believed. Still... a little place to billet in France for my periodical motorbike excursions would be tres handy :-)

Masher said...

Yeah, what Bren said.
Never mind converting the six-bedroom thing next door, make it into a bike garage for us!

Seriously though, good luck with it. I had kind of guessed that might be what the exciting news was all about, as you have mentioned it a couple of time previously.

Don't destroy its French character though by fitting UPVC windows - I know you'll want to!

Anonymous said...

Fingers crossed for you m'dear, it is a lovely area.

Masher said...

Mrs M has just seen this and is extremely jealous,

She says she has been to Carcassonne a couple of times and assures me that I've been there too!

I have no idea.

kennamatic said...

Brennig - We've done lots of research and made sure we have escape plans and a healthy dose of scepticism as to how "perfect" life will be.
Masher- My window based life officially ended on 19th December. But I can't promise I'll never buy a pvc window again. You'll remember Carcassonne, it's the big medieval city thl looks exactly like a medieval city should.
Toffeeapple - It seems nice thre but it is a means to an end. The plan would be to retire in another 6 to 10 years as we would here and move out towards Narbonne which we both love.

And if we go there you are all welcome to visit with or without bikes, wives, or anything else be it for a glass of wine, an overnight stop or longer.