Saturday, February 21, 2015

Cold Turkey

I have a problem when I move to France. Diet Coke.

Since 1988 when I started driving for a living I have always been accompanied by diet coke. Any time other than in the car I can drink anything else I like, but driving, it has to be diet coke. I have a bit of a rule of thumb that I will only pay a maximum of 30p per can, although in all honesty I will pay more if there is no offer but I begrudge it.

The problem is, it's rarely less than the equivalent of 60p per can over there. And my Yorkshire sensibilities cannot cope with the idea of paying twice as much. So either I wean myself off slowly but miss out on my last chances to quaff gallons, or keep going and hit a wall when the supplies I take with me run out.

It's a quandary.

3 comments:

Masher said...

My missus has a similar addiction to Diet Pepsi. She drinks more of the stuff than anyone I know... certainly more than she should. She takes a 2 litre bottle of the stuff to work with her each day and she'll drink half of another 2 litre bottle when she comes home.
She has tried to wean herself off it a couple of times, but can't do it.
And, annoyingly, she has only one filling in her teeth.
When she goes to France on holiday, she takes bottles of the stuff with her.
You might have to do the same.

Brennig said...

Blimey!

Anonymous said...

But you'll have all that lovely French wine easily available, why drink crap?