Saturday, May 11, 2013

Haiku Month - Day 11

Reliving one's past
Can remind you why you are
who you are today




One of my favourite radio programmes is on Radio 2. Desmond Carrington's Sound of the 60s.

I actually don't remember many of the songs from the first half of the 60s, even I'm too young, but the latter half started to impinge on my young musical mind, and of course records get played for a number of years after they are released.

In the 60s my main radio listening would have been Junior Choice on a Saturday morning and then Sunday late morning as Mum made Sunday lunch and me and my brother played games with my Dad. And Sunday radio meant 2 Way Family Favourites, Round The Horne and The Clitheroe Kid. A few years later they were followed by Alan "Fluff" Freeman finishing the afternoon off with The Top 40!

Today on Desmonds show he played three tracks back to back which whilst released in the 60s impacted my life more in the early 70s at our youth club. The three were;

Guns of Navarone - The Skatalites
A Message to You Rudy - Dandy
The Israelites - Desmond Dekker & The Aces. (Or for those remember the old TDK advert, My Ears Are Alight.

Ska and Reggae were our staples at Youth Club along with a reasonable amount of Northern Soul.

Even today I like a bit of Reggae and Ska. It's one of the few bits of my musical past i'm happy to revisit.

2 comments:

Masher said...

I only really got interested in radio in my early teens. I'd listen to the likes of Noel Edmonds whilst getting ready for school and then the David 'Diddy' Hamilton show when I came home.
In my late teens, my radio interests broadened and I discovered the comedy re-runs on Radio 4: Clitheroe Kid, Round the Horne, I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again, etc. Being able to think for myself now, I switched from Radio 1 to local stations and my station of choice was Radio Essex... not exactly local! There was a presenter on there called Timbo and his show was quite addictive. I spent a small fortune getting a big aerial fixed to a tall mast strapped onto my mum and dad's chimney (whilst they were away on holiday) just so I could listen to his show!
It's funny, but I hardly listen to the radio anymore.

Weren't the adverts for Maxell, not TDK?

kennamatic said...

Indeed young Masher,it was Maxell. That'll teach me not to google my references first to check them. I plead old age and an addled brain!