Wednesday, March 14, 2012

No Smoke Without Fire

Kerry Katona is in trouble for saying there isn't any real harm in having the odd cigarette whilst pregnant.

Ms Katona puts her foot in it again. This time in defending her fellow "Face of Iceland" colleague Stacey Soloman who, wait for it, has been deposed as "Mother of the Year" having been caught smoking whilst pregnant with her next child.

I've never smoked and can't really be doing with it but I have a bit of sympathy for them in as much as, harking back to yesterdays post, this is a relatively new medical phenomenom. Not immediately recent, but 50 years ago it wouldn't have been picked up at all. All the medical advice is not to smoke during pregnancy because all these things can happen to the baby. They always said that t would make babies smaller but I think I'm right in saying that the average baby weight is less now that it was 50 years ago.

Funnily enough we were talking about smoking at work on Monday. It seems so natural not to go to pubs and restaurants and they be smoke free but it isn't that long ago that it changed. One of the guys was saying that 20 years back he knew someone who owned a restaurant who decided it should be smoke free. He reckoned the bloke would go bust within 6 months, but he didn't. And I can remember working through the Good Pub Guide looking for the few pubs that were no smoking, or at least with one no smoking bar.

But more worrying than the smoking angle is, how do we survive when Stacey Soloman is Mother of the Year. Although I am prepared to say this is a step up from Katie Price.

2 comments:

Masher said...

I think it's bloody great being able to sit in a pub or restaurant and not have to breathe in other people's smoke.

However, when you leave you have to hold your breath whilst you get past the blue fog that hangs outside the door, thanks to the smoking huddle camped there.

Anonymous said...

I think I read that Katie Price is, again, mother of the year. Mind you, who votes for her and her ilk?

I used to smoke but I can't stand the smell of cigarettes anymore. As Masher says, it is marvellous to go to a pub or restaurant and not smell smoke.