Friday, March 09, 2012

Giving and Receiving

Today is the last day of Heart's "Have a Heart" Appeal.

Like most radio stations these days there is a week of fundraising. Heart have been raising money for Childline. And like most other radio stations they have been having a week of auctions. Today you could buy the chance to be trapped entertained for a champagne trip on he London Eye with Shane Richie and another was afternoon tea with Jason Donovan.

I don't know when the trend of raising money by auction started but I've often thought if I had the money I might go for one. It does however strike me as being somewhat selfish. You have money you are willing to give to charity but you want something in return.

Anyway, I know what I shall spend my money on. It will be a private concert with either Jamie Cullum or Michael Buble. I'm not bothered about either but M has left me in no doubt that those are exactly the right things for me to bid on.

And after all, I don't want to upset her or I might end up in a condition where I need a charity auction to raise money to rebuild me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the trend might have started with Children in Need and I often wondered how people had so very much money to donate to an appeal.

I certainly wouldn't want to spend time with the first two names mentioned - I had to look up Shane Richie and, having looked up the other two, I'd again decline. Now if the choices were Bryan Ferry or David Bowie - well, um, oh yes!

kennamatic said...

Capital Radio used to do it before that and I suspect they may have got out from america. Now, David Bowie you stand a chance of. A mate from school is his tour manager when he bothers to tour.

Anonymous said...

Be still my beating heart!