Monday, February 20, 2012

War of the Roses

It wasn't just a straight election. I'm a Yorkshireman, my opponent a Lancastrian.

3 days to go - As a society that prides itself on having little in the way of politics, is it worth sending an e-mail reminding people I am standing for chairman but asking that whoever they vote for at least please vote? Does it make me sound pompous or as though I am thinking of the Society? Decision - No, it could backfire on me.

2 days to go - Knowing that my opponent would actually not be there for the vote, could I trust the outgoing chairman, who was proposing him, not to say something as he introduced the vote along the lines of, "don't hold his absence against him". Set up one of my supporters to object if really necessary.

1 day to go - I discover that one of the people I was counting on to vote for me voted for him "because he's a really nice guy". Yeah, cheers!

The Vote - I'm expecting to lose. The Nice Guy factor has been niggling me all day. I know I am probably not the most popular person. I tend to keep myself a bit to myself. Point of Order - "Can Dave Vote?". "No". Damn! All the names go in the box and they go off to count. Few minutes delay whilst the rest of the committee get re-voted on. Then the result.

Yorkshire win!

Now I suppose I better do something with my year in office. Apart from making everyone bow when I enter the room and call me Sire when they speak to me!

4 comments:

Masher said...

First thing to do is make sure you get your expenses claims in!

Anonymous said...

Yay for Yorkshire! Congratulations Dave.

MarieNash said...

Do they still do forelock-tugging in the neck of your woods? If not, maybe it's something you could introduce - certainly would lend a certain gravitas to your year in office

kennamatic said...

Masher - you must be kidding. The treasurer has just turned down his own claim for travelling expenses!

Toffee apple - Thank you.

Marie - I like your thinking, with optional bowing and scraping!