Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Out of the Comfort Zone.

Recently, I have frequented a place which has had a high proportion of vegetarians eating there. On the first time I visited I would say that 25% of the people who came in and ordered within earshot went "vegetarian". Obviously they could have just taken the Vege option even though they are carnivores. What is amazing though is that you wouldn't expect a vegetarian to even consider eating at the place. To the point that one would consider it a meat eaters paradise.

The place involved is Click Here

How can an "eat all you like" carvery be such a magnet to non-meat eaters? Well, they actually do have four vegetarian options, three of which are relatively unusual, but that is not what they were opting for. The way it works is you can have the £5.75 carvery but opt for no meat, just the yorkshire puddings and the veg and you only pay £4.25! And my, do they go for it!

The staff are very used to it and 9 times out of 10 the people serving at the carvery table are careful not to use any tool used for cutting the meat in doling out the Yorkshires. Even if they do, they are happy to sort it out as they accept it was their mistake. That's another thing that sets them apart from a standard restaurant that usually work ion the fact it is the vegetarians fault for not accepting just a bit of meaty inclusion, however small.

It is such a popular magnet that if you ever have to take a party of people out and it includes veggies I'd recommend it.

And there are two other good reasons to choose that. Firstly, I don't think there is a meat eater who wouldn't want to eat there. And secondly, some of the desserts come with the "bottomless custard jug", as much custard as you want!

It was a lucky find for the custard-loving vegetarian that I know!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't been to a carvery for many years and remember that the food was very bland, is that not still the case?

Masher said...

"Beef, pork or turkey, Sir?"
"I think I'll have all three, please" is how the conversation goes when I visit a carvery.

But the veggie thing is interesting to know as I have a couple of veggie friends who often complain about how difficult it is to eat out.

Brennig said...

I'm a custard-loving vegetarian who has been known to visit the odd carvery or too. In the company of flesh-eaters, obv.

In fact, I'm going to have spotted dick with custard in a couple of minutes.