Sunday, January 23, 2011

Music Appreciation

M is doing some schoolwork to avoid doing any planning during the week. She's been checking out a really good site with activities for the kids. The object is for the children to listen to classical music and identify the various families of instruments within an orchestra by sound. The website she is going to use is really good with a lot of good musical content.

Time alloted for this quite complex task as they are only 7 years old? 20 minutes!

And by the way, it isn't a music lesson. It's in ITC. They don't do that in music.

I didn't always understand a lot at school. I appear to understand what the hell is going on there even less these days.

4 comments:

Masher said...

I play a lot of classical music to my kids, when we are in the car. I'm not trying to make them into classical buffs or anything, but rather I'm trying to expose them to a wider range of music, than what they get when they are with their mother (poppy chart stuff).

That website sounds interesting. Is it restricted to schools?

kennamatic said...

No, don't think so. I'll get the link and let you know. It's American (There's a quiz called Beethovens Baseball), but if she's impresed I'm willing to be too.

I think if you can get a grounding, or appreciation, of classical music when young you tend to like a wider range of musical styles when you are older.

kennamatic said...

http://www.dsokids.com

May well be musical games for both of them as it seems to have different levels and there are lots of other resources such as listening to music snippet by composer or by instrument. Anyway, see what you think..

Masher said...

Ta.