Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Wet Wales

Is there a wetter place in the UK than North Wales? I can't believe it.

Whilst I haven't spent ages there, possibly 12 days across three seperate visits, I'm not sure there has been a day without rain. Colwyn Bay would have been the venue for this years sea swim had I managed last week to find a half decent day. I'd have settles for cloud cover alone but rain as well wouldn't have made it too enjoyable, although I'm not sure why as I was going to be wet anyway.

I must have a search for old tourist posters of LLandudno. I'm assuming they say something like "Come to Llandudno, We have cloud, and rain on the hour, every hour."

Whether the proximity of Snowdonia causes the problem I'm not sure, but it has confirmed my suspicion that we would have been better off withou Wales and then when I lived in Birmingham it would only have been a short drive to the coast.

1 comment:

graybo said...

Wales is wet because the prevailing winds carry moisture in from the Atlantic. When the warm wet air from the sea meets cooler (yes, cooler, especially at night) air over land, the moisture condenses and falls as rain. This effect is exacerbated by the Welsh mountians which force the air upwards (where it cools). If you remove Wales from the British Isles, not only would Birmingham be closer to the coast, it would also be wetter (as would much of central England) as it would no longer be in the "rain shadow" of Wales. What would be better would be to move Wales about 50 to 100 miles to the south west so that the rain falls there but the Brummies can still commute easily to the (rather nice inland) sea. Also: imagine how wet Wales would be if Ireland wasn't in the way of the rain.