Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Free National Health?

I have my op next Tuesday. I was reminded by them today that if I need painkillers following the op I will need money to get them as I am not exempt from prescription charges. Twelve years ago they were free at discharge. Fine if you've got an ingrowing toenail but surgery where you are out for the count and you are going to have internal and external stitches should at least merit you painkillers for a few days. OK, it's only £7.20 but it sticks a bit in the throat when Labour go on about how they are the champions of the free health service.

How long before this government decide to charge for anaesthetic?

3 comments:

LyleD4D said...

Why bother charging for it when they can just take the money out of your wallet while you're unconscious on the table?

Masher said...

That is shocking!

When I had the snip, last year, they provided me with a week's worth of painkillers - which I didn't need.
So either the rules have changed or maybe it's down to different trusts in different regions having different policies.

kennamatic said...

Lyle - I asked them whether I could have my mobile phone with me, they said not to as it might get stolen whilst i'm in theatre. I then asked why I was advised to bring cash with me as surely that might be stolen too. I await a satisfactory answer.

Masher - I'm in the same trust district as last time but the rules could have changed. Any chance you could go back in and have another red hot wire poked into your nether regions just to check whether you get the painkillers this time? :)