Tuesday, October 14, 2008

New Technology - Ancient User

I have a Tom Tom. A navigation system rather than a small drum. And damned useful it has been over the year I've been using it. So to celebrate it's first birthday, in addition to the speed safety camera package I've also taken the traffic package.

I have a bluetooth phone, and it can find the tom tom when it trawls the ether looking for something. All I have to do is to enter the correct code. But which code? The tomtom device code doesn't seem to do the trick whatever form I enter it in, so is it a differnt code, like a pin number, that came with it. Or is it some code that my phone came with that needs to be entered although that wasn't the case with my handsfree earpiece.

The answer is probably quite straightforward but I seem to be in a position where I start ringing the helplines at £4000 per second or whatever they cost, and probably with someone on the other end who doesn't speak english that well.

I might fiddle with it a bit more first. I hate ringing helplines.

3 comments:

Gordon said...

If it's the same as pairing a headset with a phone then the actual code doesn't matter.

All you are doing is proving that there is a human sitting operating both devices, so enter ANY code into one device (1234, for example) and when prompted enter the same code into the other device (1234, in case you've forgotten already).

It's only used to establish that the connection between both devices is valid and not someone hacking in from somewhere else. (kinda).

I think.

kennamatic said...

Hmm. I've worked out what I should be doing but I think the main problem is that although my phone is bluetooth enabled it is not on TomToms list of compatible phones and can't detect it. There might be a patch somewhere so I'll go on a hunt.

kennamatic said...

Ah. Turning the bluetooth setting to open ould be a good idea!