Thursday, October 16, 2008

Dismissal Downside

One of the worst bit's of running your own company is having to sack people, although in my case it's more just not using someone again as they are legally a sub-contractor.

I have someone who I have used a few times, is damned good at what he does, but unfortunately it would appear has light fingers.

A laptop went missing from a job he was working on. He was sort of in the frame but so were too many other people. Now news reaches me that would boost him up to 95% certain to have done it. He won't admit it of course, as he's not admitted to some other stuff on another job being down to him, which it was, bang to rights. I really don't want it to be him as I want to help him get established in his own right as he hasn't had the easiest life up until now, but he has to help himself. And not just to other peoples goods!

It's sad, and I'll have to discuss it with Marj as she is co-director, but I think the writings on the wall for him.

And as this is my blog and thus everything has to be about me, I now have to find someone else who can do the work I had lined up for him and that isn't going to be easy.

4 comments:

Masher said...

Not nice. Don't envy you that.

When I was in management, I hated disciplining people - and I was never any good at it. Fortunately, I never reached a position where I had to sack anyone.

graybo said...

Could you have a quiet word with him? Threaten to bring in the law? Or have you given him a last chance already?

Does your contract with him contain a procedure to cover this sort of thing? If not, it should.

kennamatic said...

The missing laptop was on a job for me and because the customer, (also a personal friend), works for a major corporation the police had to be notified anyway. Unusually, they actually did investigate it but couldn't come to a conclusion.

Have actually held fire, pun intended), whlst a little bit of background investigation goes on.

Just Me said...

None of this sounds like much fun. It'll be interesting to see what your background investigation turns up.